?1. After you have finished with them, be sure to shred documents that contain personal or financial information before throwing them out.
2. Go paperless. Sign up for online billing and financial statements and direct deposit, to help make sure your personal information – and your money – doesn't fall into the wrong hands.
3. Notify all your financial institutions of your new address ahead of time if you move – make sure the next person in your home isn't getting your mail.
4. Make sure someone you trust will collect your mail for you if you will be away, or sign up for the "Hold Mail Service" with Australia Post. For more information on how to sign up, click here.
5. Missing bills or statements may mean someone is tampering with your mail or your identity. If you suspect something is wrong, report it to the company or financial institution you were expecting mail from as soon as possible, and, if possible, put a lock on your mailbox.
6. Look out for mail fraud, including chain letters, unsolicited merchandise and offers